This is fascinating video about Daniel Tammet, a twenty-something with extraordinary mental abilities. He’s capable of calculations to 100 decimal places in his head, and he can acquire functional fluency in a foreign language in a single week. Most interesting is that unlike the vast majority of savants, he can communicate with and interact with people in a fairly ordinary way.
This documentary follows Daniel’s travel to America, where he met with researchers for a variety of tests, and he also meets the real man behind Dustin Hoffman’s character in Rain Man.
Highlights by the minute
- Daniel recites the first 22,000 digits of π (05:00)
- Daniel describes how he sees numbers (17:00)
- Daniel hustles some NYC chess hustlers (20:55)
- Meet Rainman (23:45)
- Daniel takes on Vegas (28:50)
- Neuro-scientists test Daniel (31:45)
- Japanese kids develop impressive abilities via abacus study (34:28)
- The ultimate test- Daniel is flown to a country of the researchers’ choice and given one week to learn the language (41:10)